(14th day of regular session of Parliament on 25 July 2012 in Naypyitaw )
1. The MP discussed according the following points..
a. Root causes of eruption of violence
b. Factors contributing the escalation of violence for weeks
c. Prevention of repetition of similar violence and peaceful coexistence
d. Current situation of Arakan and to continue President’s 144 ( State of Emergency) in effected area
2. The MP told that it was very unfortunate to see some MPs discussed racial and religious hatred (on Muslims) instead of containing the conflict and peace building process in the parliament earlier. He gave thanks to Mr Speaker for recalling etiquette of the parliament reminding those unruly MPs.
3. The MP told that he has the responsibility to give real scenario to the 60 million population of Burma on ongoing propaganda against Muslim in Arakan State. Historical context: Arakan has a long history with independent kingdom. The relationship between Arakan and Chittagong had been very close until Burmese occupation (in 1785). Once, both regions were under the same rule for 200 years. Population movement form one to other (and vice versa) was a common phenomenon. In one occasion Arakan King Min Saw Mu fled Begal in fear of Burmese aggression. Arakan King was later reinstated to Arakan in Mrauk –Oo ( Myo Haung) with the help of strong Muslim army ( 30,000) led by General Sandi Khan. Despite all those solid historical facts, The Muslims were given the impression such a way that as if they came to Burma illegally yesterday or during British occupation ( as widely appears in state and local media).
4. Population movement across the border is not limited during British occupation period only but it has been there for more than a thousand year. It is not unusual those living in North Arakan were similar physical appearance to those in Chittagong district. There are Rakhine Buddhist, Muslims, Khami, Daiknak , Mro and Thek and Chakma ethnics within Arakan ( Burma) territory. The same different ethnicities can also be found in the Chiittagong territory. During Burmese aggression, several Rakhine Buddhist took refuge to Awakyun under Chittagong. Quite recently, researchers found ancient Arakan Shipwreck in Bangladesh. The current Ambassador of Bangladesh to Burma is Chakma, descendent of Arakan. Rakhine (Buddhist) can also be found in India. The Rohingya issue is very simple but due to propaganda, it is complicated and creating instability in Arakan. The same scenario can be found in several other frontiers of Burma such as Kachin , Shan, Karen and other territories. While Muslims in Arakan are under several allegation of illegal immigration and denial of citizenship, Rakhine Buddist and other ethnics in Bangladesh side are enjoying full citizenship rights. It is very ridiculous to see Muslims are discriminated and denied rights in Arakan. Current Problem can only be solved based on true history of Arakan before British occupation and wiliness to give due share to the fellow citizens. Otherwise this problem would be repeating indefinitely.
5. There have been several propaganda such as “illegal invasion”, “no Rohingya in Burma ”,” illegal immigrants are creating problems” etc.. It is better to focus on “those people in this region are citizens or not” instead of debating “whether there are Rohingya in Burma or not”. There were several operation to scrutinise citizenship in Northern Arakan after independence, namely Sabe, KyiKan, NagaMin, etc.. . The (Muslim) population is nothing left to be scrutinized. The authorities started replacing new “Nationality Scrutiny Cards” with older (National Identification Card” in 1990 but it was halted due to unknown reason. Now those Muslims are labelled non-citizens just because of not having identification cards. “Qualified to be citizen” and “issuing ID cards” are two separate activities. It is important to know that someone cannot be qualified as a citizen just after only having the citizenship card. Those who are qualified to be citizens are the citizens and deserved to have ID cards”.
(Part 2: initial incident and factors contributing the escalation of violence for weeks: to be continue)