KUALA LUMPUR (June 15, 2012): About 2,000 protesters, mostly of Rohingya origins, gathered in the Malaysian capital to condemn the violence against their people in the Arakan state by the Rakhine ethnic which was highlighted last week.
Previously living under the radar, they unite in the wake of the killing of 10 Muslims on June 3 in Taungup, Myanmar by ethnic Rakhines that led to Myanmar Junta to enforce a curfew period since June 8.
Myanmar Ethnic Rohingya Human Rights Organization Malaysia (MERHROM) President Zafar Ahmad Abdul Ghani said they were deeply concerned about the continued killing and violence towards the ethnic group including rape, looting and kidnapping.
"We applaud the United Nations (UN)'s move to send top envoy Mr Vijay Nambiar to Arakan State to assess the situation.
"However we are worried whether he is able to assess the real situation as he was escorted by military official at all times," he told the reporters during the rally.
National Democratic Party for Human Rights in exile South East Asian General Secretary Mohamad Sadek @ Aung Naing disputed the report saying that the numbers killed had reached tens of thousands since the start of June.
"We have reports from our people that a whole town had been razed down and they have to dig a mass grave of 12,000," he said.
Coalitions of Malaysian NGOs to Save Rohingyas Chairman Azmi Hamid said the current Arakan crisis is the latest in the history of the Rohingya tragedy which started with their forced expulsion from the area.
"The Rohingya have since been displaced, made stateless, humiliated, dehumanized, terrorized and massacred since 64 years ago.