A Short Analysis Of Pros And Cons Of Our Identity Name: Disadvantages Of 'Muslim' / Advantages Of 'Rohingya'
By Qutub Shah
April 9, 2014
1. The term 'Muslim' doesn't represent any ethnic group. It's a mere religious identity.
2. In history, this ethnic minority is not known as 'Muslim' but 'Rohingya' is a historical fact. Changing the name means denial of history.
3. Offering a third name as 'Muslim' from the gov't is just a distraction to complete the census process. Being included in the census is nothing if there is no warranty for social security, recognition of ethnicity, fundamental rights.
4. Changing into 'Muslim' means moving from our attitude and claim.
5. The exclusion from census. The exclusion from censes proves that we are really Rohingya.
6. The persistence over the term 'Rohingya' can only be a way to parmenant and radical solution for the problem.
7. The term Rohingya also is internationally recognized.
8. Persistence over the term Rohingya is valuation of the efforts of the freedom fighters under the flag of 'Rohingya' from our ancestors throughout the past. If we use the term 'Muslim', there efforts and struggles for freedom will be in vain. Also, it is valuation of the lost lives, destructed properties now and ever before. In conclusion, if we change the identity name, our problem will be unsolved forever.
Advantage of 'Muslim'/Disadvantage of 'Rohingya'
1. Inclusion in census but as mentioned above, being included in the census is nothing if there is no warranty for social security, recognition of ethnicity, and fundamental rights. So, showing of the gov't a flexibility is an attempt to trap the Rohingyas into its distraction and trick.
2. Possibility of exposure to more torture, harassment and ill-treatment.
Now, the right to choose and decide is to you. Live long Rohingya, Live long Rohingya, Live long Rohingya!